Online registration for the 2014 Black Writers’ Guild of Maryland Writers
Conference is now CLOSED! Space permitting, you may register on Saturday, June 7, 2014 in person at
Morgan State University, Student Union Building #12 (cash or money order only).
The conference is a great opportunity for writers to:
* Hone writing skills
Learn strategies for self-publishing, marketing and PR
how to avoid literary law danger zones
* Network with other writers
and industry professionals
Our keynote speaker is author and 2014 NAACP Image Award winner (debut author),
Sheri L. Booker. Booker is the author of the critically acclaimed memoir Nine
Years Under, Coming of Age in an Inner City Funeral Home, (Gotham 2013) based on her nine-year experience in the funeral
business. Booker has been featured on NPR, Essence magazine and other national media.Other expert presenters/topics include:
* Writing instructor Terence Cooper will present Essential Secrets of the Writing Craft
* Author Allegra Bennett
will present 12 Steps to Self-Publishing Success*
Attorney and author Karmen Booker will present The Legal Matters
that Matter to Writers
We also feature PR/marketing experts Cherrie Woods and Kevin
Wayne Johnson on a panel to discuss the role of marketing and PR―how to build your brand, sell your
books and get media coverage. Directions to
the Parking Garage at Morgan State University
- Take Exit 31A, Perring Parkway
South. The Parkway name changes to Hillen Road. Continue
to Cold Spring Ln.
- Turn Left on Cold Spring Lane.
- Go about 0.3 miles on Cold
Spring Ln. East
- Turn Right
to the first street (Stadium Drive).
- Go to the second Stop Sign. Garage is
located on the right.
- Take Cold Spring
Lane (East) to the intersection of Cold Spring Lane
and Hillen Road.
- Go about 0.3 miles on Cold Spring Ln. East.
- Turn Right to the first street (Stadium Drive).
- Go to the second Stop Sign. Garage is located on the right.